Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Shorebirding just starting to get going in the Okanagan


Usually I start to see the first Solitary Sandpipers, Least Sandpipers, and Wilson's Phalaropes in late April. This year however has been late! Solitaries arrived around the beginning of May, Leasts arrived 2 days ago, and I still haven't seen nor heard of a phalarope yet! American Avocets have put on a good show however with 23 birds at Robert Lake and 6 more at Alki Lake. So far I haven't been able to catch up with any Black-becked Stilts but hopefully some will show up soon! Here are some photos of a pair of AMERICAN AVOCETS at the Kelowna dump (aka Alki Lake), a nice GREATER VS. LESSER YELLOWLEGS comparison, and Avery Bartels scoping the Bonaparte's Gulls at L&A Crossroads near Vernon where I picked up my first WESTERN SANDPIPER.



1 comment: