Saturday, January 16, 2010

More Kelowna birding


Hi everyone!

The past few days have been fairly rainy up in Kelowna but today was fabulous! I must admit that I haven't been birding ALL DAY lately but I"m still finding a few nice additions. Time to get back at it right? Anyways, on Wednesday the only addition was WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL (Sam Brett and I had a flock of around 100 up the Beaver Lake Road). I was hoping for more upper-elevation goodies like Pine Grosbeak and Boreal Chickadee, but unfortunately we had to settle for 5 Three-toed Woodpeckers and a bunch of Gray Jays (already counted, but always neat)! Down in the valley I've been scrounging high and low in the hopes of turning up either a Yellow-billed Loon or a rare gull but no luck! Sam and I also tried for the long-staying Blue Jay in Trader's Cove but unfortunately another strike-out. We did however hone in on a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW in Okanagan Mountain Park (either yesterday or the day before... they're all molding into one now! Will have to check the notes).

Today was a gorgeous day but didn't get out for too long (at least not for "serious" birding). A single RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET was a nice find since none have been reported since early December in the BC interior. I've also been trying to photograph interesting gulls in the area including an adult KUMLIEN'S (iceland) GULL and a bunch of weird hybridy things containing Herring/Western/Glaucous-winged parentage. Perhaps I'll post some of these poor but interesting shots soon.

(photo: Bohemian Waxwings)

No comments:

Post a Comment